Tuesday 16 May 2017

SUDDENLY BUT NOT UNEXPECTEDLY...

Suddenly but not unexpectedly after fighting bone cancer for almost 4 years my Mum passed away on Saturday 8th April 2017 at home in her own bed. She had had a good day on Saturday being out going to and from hospital for a blood transfusion. She had enjoyed the lovely weather, the spring flowers and bird sounds, spring being her favourite time of year as she had become recently almost housebound. She particularly enjoying the time with, and chatting with my brother. She passed away very quickly shortly after returning from hospital in the evening whilst still in his company. She didn't quite make her 86th birthday which would have been on Sunday but pleasantly had all ready received a birthday card and was looking forward to the big day.
Mum I miss you so much but I am pleased that your recent suffering is now at an end and you are with your recently departed sister who passed in January.

Mum and I October 1984. Just about to go out to celebrate my brother's 21st birthday by having a slap up tea at Dallam Tower Hotel on Dundonald Hill above Loans.
Mum and I October 1984. Just about to go out to celebrate my brother's 21st birthday by having a slap up tea at Dallam Tower Hotel on Dundonald Hill above Loans.
My Mum on Largs seafront after a shower of rain during the 1930s.
My Mum on Largs seafront after a shower of rain during the 1930s.
Her funeral service was held at St Meddans Church of Scotland, her church of over 40 years, at 12 noon on Thursday 20th April and afterwards at the South Beach Hotel, South Beach, Troon. There then was a private cremation at Masonhill Crematorium, Ayr on Friday 21st April 2017. In attendance were only my brother, my Dad and myself.
My Mum's funeral flowers. She loved her flowers and was a very competent flower arranger (she won a competition and was so surprised when that happened) so the flowers were very important and well chosen by my niece and sister in law. My only request was that they should include freesia as these were her favourite flower of all due to their beautiful scent. I always tried to have freesia within sniffing distance of her whilst she was ill. The blue/ purple colours were also chosen as these were her favourite colours. Thanks to Kirstie's Flowers in Troon for these.
Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 1
Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 1

Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 2
Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 2

Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 3
Mum's funeral flowers at Masonhill, 3
My Mums ashes are to be interred at Largs Cemetery on Monday 29th May 2017 followed by lunch at Nardini's restaurant.

This was beside my Mum's bed throughout her illness.
This was beside my Mum's bed throughout her illness.

No comments: